Monday, July 23, 2012

Elf Brightening Eye Color Quad in Butternut, Review and Swatches

Hey guys! I'm back today with a review on the ELF Brightening Eye Color Quad in Butternut. You can purchase this at Target or on www.EyesLipsFace.com for only a dollar. Hence my motivation to pick this baby up, lol. I always find the most afforable bits of makeup, hoping one day I'll find a gem to share with you ladies. Unfortunatly, this isn't one of them, but it does have it's perks. Let me explain :)

This quad includes four colors, a pale yellow, a light apricot, a deep brown, and a golden bronzey brown.

Excuse how dusty and full of makeup it is, it has been sitting in my makeup bag waiting to be reviewed for a while now!

Packaging: Pretty basic. A small white compact with a tiny almost unusable mirror. Also includes a brush to be thrown away. Only thing that I find cute and/or unique about the packaging is the triangle design of the eyeshadows.


Pigmentation: All depends on the shadow you are referring to. The light yellow and apricot shades are horrific. They barely show up at all. I had to dig my finger into each shade just to make it show up at all in my swatches. Those swatches in the photo are swatched about ten times over, just to make them visible. I have seen other swatches where they look decent though. Did I get a bad one? Let me know! The deep brown is fairly pigmented and the second best of this palette. The bronzey brown is absolutly perfect in pigmetation. The photo above is one easy swipe of the finger. The pigmentation is one hundred percent flawless and makes this palette worthwhile.

Texture: The texture of these eyeshadows almost go along with the pigmentation of them. When it comes to the pale yellow and light apricot shadows, they are rough in texture. Even my densest eyeshadow brush can't pick them up. As mentioned, I had to dig my finger into them just to pick them up. They are very chalky. The deep brown is an okay quality, which again matches its pigmentation. It's not too rough, but not smooth. The bronzey brown (again!!!) is a dream. It's buttery smooth and glides on. Perfection!

Longevity: For only one dollar, these eye shadows last a good amount of time, over a primer of course. I don't know too many shadows that can be worn alone without primer and last me through a long workday. I put these over my Smashbox Photo Finish Eyelid Primer and I have a whole days worth of wear. Again, I've never tried them alone so I can't speak for their wear by themselves, but I bet it's not too long ;)

Overall: This is a decent quad, especially for being so affordable. I recommend it to anyone looking for a gorgeous bronze/brown color, because even if it is the only shade you use out of the quad, a dollar for one eyeshadow is great. I am super disappointed at the light colors though, because i was looking foward to using them as a lid or highlight color. But can't say I can complain too much overall.

Do you own any of the ELF eyeshadow quads?

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for following and commenting Michelle :)

      Delete
  2. i have tried the other quad called day 2 night and the colors where pretty pigmented with the exception of the lightest color. i guess the light colors arent that pigmented! but for 1 dollar there pretty ok! great review! :)
    xoxo,
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! It's too bad because it be a great deal if they were pigmented!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful colors..! Love those brown-ish shadow too :) xo akiko
    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much dear, for stopping by, I just followed you back, cheers and have a nice day :)

    http://foreverunderstated.blogspot.se/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following back and commenting, you as well :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for reviewing, I like the brown shade :) x Elma

    www.reinadelamoda.fashionblogster.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for visiting and following my blog! Follow you too)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this a whole ago but never reached for because of the poor pigmentation of the light colours, it always seems to be that way!!

    Lea x

    http://shebeginstosee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're a little bit disappointing! :(

      Delete
  8. love it!
    kiss kiss

    http://thepinkillusion.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog! I'm a new follower! Do you wanna follow me?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never used elf but those colors look great, I use earth tones a lot !

    Fashion and Cookies
    You're invited to my $50 GIVEAWAY on LASPACENY.com !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great, and I do too! Very simple for everyday use. Thankyou
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. Looks like great colours.

    www.fashioncontainer.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that browm colours...

    Of course i follow you too on gfc and Bloglovin :):) just LOVe your blog :)

    xxx
    Sandra

    www.sunkissedlovechild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Your lovely comments are always appreciated ♥